Your metabolism or the rate at which your body burns calories, is like an engine, for instance the more often you give it fuel the better it works. Here is some simple facts for you to consider on how to boost your metabolism. Make one or two changes a week so you don’t get overwhelmed and give up before you have started properly.
What happens when you deprive your body of food
- Your metabolism slows down to hang on to the energy to preserve it.
- A slowed metabolism makes it far more difficult to lose weight and much easier to gain weight.
- An irregular eating pattern, for instance not consistent in calories and nutrition intake will lead to a more rapid loss of muscle because the body is forced to take its energy from elsewhere.
- Muscle loss is ageing.
- Never skip breakfast because it gives your metabolism a boost.
- Eat to keep your energy up and your blood sugar levels on an even keel. By doing this you will avoid overloading your system and in addition you should not feel hungry and therefore shouldn’t affect your performance.
- Chew your food slowly because this enables more nutrients to be released and in addition helps to digest food.
- Eating slowly helps you feel fuller faster and will help prevent overeating. When you eat too quickly your stomach doesn’t register that it is full until too late.
- Replace normal dinner plates with a smaller one this will enable your portion sizes to go down, but your plate still looks full.
- Try not to eat on the run. Sitting down to eat a meal means you enjoy your food more and you avoid upsetting your digestion.
- Go to bed early because people who don’t have enough sleep have lower levels of leptin, a hormone that tells your brain you are full and higher levels of ghrelin a hormone that triggers hunger.
- It takes 20 minutes for the stretch receptors in your stomach lining to send a message to your brain registering food.
- You may also find this helpful. Are You Always Feeling Hungry?
- Or this is easy to read information to help start you on your way to a healthier you The Basics Of Healthy Eating
For a range of affordable online courses. Centre of Excellence | Online Courses & Distance Learning Centre