Hay fever can be a problem for so many people including myself, so here is 10 ways to help hay fever.
I start as soon as the tree pollen starts which can be as early as the end of March, this is then followed by grass pollen and therefore can continue through until the end of July.
Getting hay fever under control is so important because otherwise it can take over your spring and summer.
Hay fever is caused when pollen grains land on membranes of your nose, eyes and throat and your immune system sees it as a foreign substance and produces an antibody that triggers the release of the chemical histamine.
This causes typical symptoms of sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, a runny nose, itchy throat, sinus congestion and coughing.
Completely avoiding pollen is just about impossible, so what can you do to help……..
10 Ways To Help Hay Fever
- A strong immune system will assist in helping your body cope with hay fever, so try to build it up by giving your body all the vitamins, minerals and trace elements it requires. How To Help Your Immune System
- Eat a well balanced diet which includes five or more portions of fruit and vegetables. How To Get Your 5 A Day Every Day In An Easy Way
3. Iron and zinc are also important for boosting the immune system there for include red meat, leafy vegetables and wholemeal bread. Zinc can be found in chicken, eggs and nuts.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids found in foods such as oily fish, flaxseed, walnuts and pumpkin seeds have been shown to help reduce inflammation, therefore it may also help reduce hay fever symptoms.
5. Eating a Mediterranean diet has been associated with helping hay fever symptoms. This includes whole grains and lots of fruit and vegetables. Less read meat, include some dairy products, olives and olive oil.
6. Studies have suggested eating probiotic bacteria can help improve the reaction to grass pollen, therefore try plain live yogurt.
7. If you are drying washing outside, make sure you bring it in before evening. If you are really suffering with hay fever avoid drying any washing outside especially bedding.
8. Keep your windows closed so pollen cannot get into your house.
9. Have a shower before you go to bed so you wash off any pollen before you get in bed.
10. Try putting some Vaseline just inside the bottom of your nostrils to help stop pollen going up your nose.
Hope some of these ideas work for you and help relieve the symptoms of hay fever.